Monday 16 April 2018

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

   One of my most favourite books like ever! It was just amazing! It's one of the best books I've ever read so I could say that it has a reason to be one of the greatest books in the classic literature. Not only, it's one of the masterpieces of XIX century. Along with Les Misérables, I think this one is a favourite of mine.
   This book left me both speechless and breathless. I liked it so much that I'd read it only for a few days. The novel is built up so well and has such a remarkable main protagonist. The Count of Monte Cristo personifies himself the true patience and perseverance by doing his revenge. It is really amazing how well-planned is everything and how he patiently does it point by point as a manual. I'd love to have a luxurious hardcover of this book, it's one of my favourites ever and I can talk about it for days!
   It's not a coincidence that's one of the best classics ever, an intransitive bestseller and one of the best adventure novels in the world at the same time one of the most exciting pieces of literature. According to me, this is one of the most outstanding examples of the Romanticism. The author, Alexandre Dumas, père is one of the most famous adventure writers and has written over 400 books. That's quite an impressive number and if they're as long as that one, it'd be really stunning considering how the means of the time e.g. handwriting, I'm not sure if the typewriter was available yet.
   I will deny not that I'm really glad about reading this masterpiece. I've hardly ever read anything more intriguing and delightful. In the core of the book are the everlasting human values: justice, compassion, the ability to forgive which are fighting against the desire for avenge. The story is based on unusual plot, the poor guy, Edmond Dantès who is unfairly accused of something he hadn't done. He's a sailor convicted unjustly and forced to spend fourteen years in one of the worst prisons at that time. However, like Newton's 3rd Law"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.", his revenge is more thorough and devastating than the meanness of his false friends. He becomes the most dangerous enemy of his unsuspecting ex-friends who he destroys one by one. After his escape, he easily enters the circles of the French noblemen to trigger his skilful plan. However, not before waiting ten more years to take his plan into action.
   The most important characters in the story are Edmond's father, his beloved Mercédès, Fernand, Danglars, Villefort, Caderousse, and the person who he sees as his second father - Abbé Faria, the man with whom he spends all those years in prison. Accordingly, the main conflicts in the novel are about the revenge and retribution. They're embodied in the mysterious personality of the Count of Monte Cristo. He is rich and mysterious and he forsees his actions step by step ruthlessly destroying his enemies. I was impressed by the ease with which he manages to reach his goals faultlessly one by one. Undoubtedly, everything is due to his patience. Without it, he wouldn't have waited so much after being freed to take on his revenge but he knows he has to wait in order to reach full nemesis. I was stupefied how everything arranged as if to help Monte Cristo and he was always the leader. These are the qualities I really envied him and really impressed me.
   There are so many things I want to talk about but I couldn't do it for every single one of them. I wish I could pay attention to every detail in its own way but I would've retold the whole book, wouldn't I? If anyone doubts to read the Count of Monte Cristo, he or she really should do it. There's no place for wonder because it is really worth it! I can promise that'll give you an incomparable experience I can't explain. I feel it and I know I'll never forget this magnificent book... ever.  This book had a very strong influence on me and it will always have a special place in my heart. If I recommend a classics to someone, I would always begin with The Count of Monte Cristo! This book is one of a kind, such masterpieces are very rare in history and this makes them true bookish gems. It's one of the most unique books I've ever read and I don't just like it, I love it!
   So, one thing Count of Monte Cristo taught us is never lose faith and keep on waiting. You should never give up on your dreams until you make them real. So... "Wait and hope!" ("Attendre et espérer!")

   That's a very emblematic and famous quote of the book:
“There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is only the comparison of one state with another. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss. It is necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live. [...]”

- Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

No comments:

Post a Comment