Friday 20 April 2018

The Storybook of Legends by Shannon Hale

  BOOK ONE OF "EVER AFTER HIGH"


  I really, really hate being told what to read. Like "You're too old for this" or "You're not old enough", okay, it's my decision and I read what I want to. That was the case with Ever After High when I got the book. I simply wanted to read it and there was a nice bookish DISCOUNT so if you buy any book(or books) above the specific price and you get The Iron Trial for free. This was a few years ago back in my country. So I thought, why not? I want to read it anyway and get a free book meanwhile? Ok, you got me Egmont! But of course, there was the awful little phrase "But isn't it too childish for you?" I was asked that by a friend. I wanted to snap at her that I don't care about the "age restriction" and I'd read whatever I want. Has this happened to you? If yes, tell me in the comments, please, I don't wanna think I'm the only one.

  As I said, I hate the judging by the cover, which is very pretty by the way. And yes, it's obvious it's something fairytale-ish but what of? The whole design of the book and the cover is awesome, I love the frame in the angles, that's so cute. Also, the keyhole is a pretty good idea with a picture from the animated series of Raven Queen and Apple White. I have the books in Bulgarian but I think the design is the same as in the English ones. The pages inside are simply awesome. There's a border frame on every single one and it's very pretty. 
  In my opinion, the book is very interesting. It isn't necessary to be a grown-up novel to be interesting, right? When I have kids one day, I'd buy them these books, I think they're suitable for a child. Especially when you think Harry Potter was made for kids, wtf?! P.S. Don't hate me but I don't like Harry Potter, sorry. Not everyone is supposed to like it, isn't it? So, I remember watching an animation on TV about Ever After High but it was somewhat unfinished? So, therefore, I assumed I'll learn more in the book series.
That's a photo of my Bulgarian edition. Isn't it cute?
  So, what's Ever After about? This is about the children of the fairytale characters such as Cinderella, Snow White, Evil Queen and so on. That reminds me of the Disney Descendents but it's quite different. The villains aren't isolated on an island and both of their kids study in the same school, aka Ever After High. However, they don't have their lives, to be said so. Instead, they have to follow their parents' path and become good or evil and also live the same story, e.g. Apple White is destined to be the next Snow White and Raven Queen - the Evil Queen. So to speak, that is simply unfair. You have no choice and have to live someone else's life. That's why I wouldn't blame Raven for a second about her decision.
  If I had to choose between a Royal and a Rebel, I'd choose the second one. I completely understand Raven because everyone should have the right to choose and not be destined for something since birth. That sounds stupid and I really hope they'll prove that there's no such harm in not signing the Storybook of Legends so anyone can follow their dreams and not be what they aren't.
  This book is short but intriguing nevertheless. I don't see why I shouldn't read it if you want to. I read it a few years ago and still, I was a teen who has "outgrown" this kind of things but, come on, does people's opinion matter that much?

2 comments:

  1. Your book is beautiful. The age restrictions are bogus. I read everyone of the books I buy my nieces and enjoy them. ;) I also read a lot of YA and I am not a YA! Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! I haven't seen the English edition in person, is it the same except for the language? I'm really excited about seeing the original editions of the books I have in my native language. It's cool you enjoy all kinds of books, after all, why not? :D

      Delete